
crook·ed
–adjective
1.not straight; bending; curved: a crooked path.
2.askew; awry: The picture on the wall seems to be crooked.
3.deformed: a man with a crooked back.
4.not straightforward; dishonest.
5.bent and often raised or moved to one side, as a finger or neck.
6.(of a coin) polygonal: a crooked sixpence.
This is the question I was faced with as I held Reed in my lap for children's church on Sunday. He's still not comfortable in church without mama but he is doing great with preschool. He asks in the mornings if he is going to "Ms Nikki's". The first couple weeks were very hard and we cut him back to 3 days a week, but he seems to enjoy going now.
So- how would you answer this question? I feel like I let him down because it caught me off guard (always does) and I simply said "he had surgery" and I FELT EMBARRASSED. Why? Why in the world would I feel this way, and why was I not expecting that kind of question?
4 comments:
Well, he is totally ADORABLE! I think you answered just fine. "He had to have surgery on his lip." No need for them to know more. :)
We get asked alot why "Luke is black and we are white." It used to embarrass me, which is weird because I was not "embarrassed", just unsure of my response.
I don't know what it is about little kids being so direct. But I have found the more I answered this question, the less "embarrassed" I was. Now it is a great opportunity to talk about God creating families, and differences in people, and how some questions can be rude.
I am sure once my girls are both home... one with Down syndrome and one who is blind, the questions will abound. Luckily, I have practiced my answer and I am well armed. :)
Oh Tina, don't feel bad about a perfectly normal response and your mother's heart jumping to want to rescue your child. I think we jump to deflect any thing that comes hurtling to harm. we don't want words to cause damage. I feel like that the (very Few) times someone has asked something insensitive like, 'she doesn't belong to you does she?'
FOr you, that verse that Jesus said when asked who did evil that the man was blind and he replied, "no one, it is for God's glory to be shown through this."
Soon, you and Reed both will wear that, 'crooked', as a trophy.
And remrember Whats his name Pheonix, Jauguin?? He is the actor, great looking, with this same thing?? Reed is even better looking !! haha
Don't feel bad sweet friend. Questions like that catch me off guard all the time. You will find the right answer that works for you and Reed....I love his little mouth;)
Because he is SPECIAL! How I love that crooked little smile!!! All of our children have flaws that are much more noticeable to others than they are to us as loving, doting parents. Smile before you try to answer and think about what that crooked smile means. It means thousands of miles across the world a tiny little boy living in poverty became a son. A son to parents who were able to furnish the care he so desperately needed. It means a future that includes any kind of food he could want or need. It means a MIRACLE! You have nothing to be ashamed of my sweet friend. You were just caught off guard, you'll be ready next time.
Post a Comment