November 8, 2009

Food fights

We came home on Friday after spending 2 nights at the hospital. Nights have been hard; he cries and cries and will not let me put him down. What little sleep he gets is in my lap. I believe he is still trying to get used to breathing through his new airway and wakes up several times a night coughing and trying to catch is breath.
We've also had a hard time getting Reed to eat and were making some good strides until tonight. Each day has been a fight just to get him to eat anything. Today he woke up and had pancakes for breakfast, lunch was a struggle but he finally had some bites of applesauce, cream potatoes and peas. We were eating dinner and he started to cry. We checked his mouth and he has pieces of food stuck in the packing that is on both sides of his palate. Poor baby. He just cried and cried and would not drink or eat another bite.
This has been so hard. It hurts me to see him in pain and I can't wait until he is pain free. When I think about everything we've been through up until this point, I know that we are very blessed and I know that the Lord will continue to see us through these challenges.
One thing I was not prepared for is hearing the change in Reed's voice. He is very nasally sounding and does not say some words as clear as he did before- it was amazing how many words he could say with the cleft.
I pray that someday he will understand how much we love him and how much we want him to be happy and healthy.

No comments: