July 1, 2009

Infected

This is not meant to gross anyone out so if you're squeamish just stop right here!
Saturday we went to Rachel's birthday party (Happy Birthday Rachel!!) at the park and had a great time. Sunday morning Reed seemed to not feel well and was pulling at his ears and being fussy. He was not running a fever but I could tell he was not his normal cheerful self.
Monday Tim took him to the ped. office to have them check out his ears and mouth (I thought it looked like he was getting thrush). The pediatrician asked about his lip and said that it might be infected. They sent us to a local surgeon to have it checked out and we were sent home around 1:00. Although I was not happy with that answer I went back to work and Tim took Reed home.
By the time I got home from work his lip looked like it had swollen even more. What's a new mom to do?? I emailed some pictures to my dear friends (thanks!!) and got the answer I knew in my heart........GO TO THE HOSPITAL NOW. So that's what we did. We threw some diapers and toys in a bag and started out on what was supposed to be a 2 hr drive to Children's Hospital. About 45 minutes into the trip we had car trouble and were delayed about an hour while Tim taped up a hole in the power steering line. We made it to the ER about 9:15 and the doctor came in to see us at 1:30 am and this is the part where I came very close to hitting the floor. Reed had just calmed down enough to fall asleep so the surgeon was able to get a good look at his mouth before deciding that it is indeed infected. He then started squeezing on Reed's incision site until his lip popped open and started to drain. The sight of my poor baby laying there in pain and being squeezed on and the smell from the drainage did me in. By this time I had picked Reed up off the bed and was trying to calm him down; I had to hand him to Tim and sit in the corner of the room because I knew I was about to pass out. The doctor was apologetic and said that he hated to cause Reed to be in pain but he had to find out how much infection was in his lip.
We were admitted around 2:30 and spent 2 nights in a very small room while Reed received antibiotics through an IV every 6 hours.
I feel like a bad mom but they told us not to clean his nose to make sure we did not pull on the sutures. He had so much drainage coming out of his nose it was just horrible.

Here's what it looks like today.
I'm still very concerned because the infection is now draining out of his lip where it is peeling. I pray the antibiotics keep working and the infection is completely gone soon.

7 comments:

Paula, With all my heart said...

Praying for you, don't beat yourself up over this. Sometimes as Moms we do what we are told and things like this just happen. I know you are a great Mom and I can tell you love Reed very much.

Teresa said...

Tina, you are a great Mom.....Remember we saw Reed on Sunday afternoon and his lip did not look like in the pictures...You used your Mom ability and knew something was not right.....You and Tim hang in there,,,,there will be bumps like this in the road.....Look to God and he will take care of all three of you..... Love you,,,Teresa

Heather BT said...

Thank God you got there in time, that the car wasn't worse. They used to (gross part here) let people stew in their own juices, and they would heal when it would start to drain out. sometimes the old gross ways still work. Like Umbilical cords dry up and drop off faster if they're not kept clean and powered. (where do I learn these things?)

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you all!! I have had some catching up to do as I hadn't checked your blog in a while. Congratulations on the surgery! He looks so handsome!! I'm sorry about the infection. Children's Hospital is the best though! Take care and love to you all!!

Anonymous said...

Tina and Tim, You are GREAT Parents --You did the right thing--so glad he is better and that you are all home. Reed loves you and the bond ya have is so precious! Continue relying on God to lead and guide you.

April said...

DON'T beat yourself up. You did the right thing. I had no idea you were having issues. I am so sorry that I wasn't praying for this exactly. Poor baby boy. Our poor kiddos go through so much. I will be praying the infection is truly under control and that it goes away soon!
Love to you good Mama!
April

LucisMomma said...

Praying for complete healing. He looks so much better after the treatment, as awful as it was at the time. Glad you have that "mom sense" and went on in. :)

Reed looks fantastic! Tammy (S Alabama) said the same thing, about her Madi not looking like her Madi anymore after her cleft palate surgery--it must be a great change for you mommies. What tender hearts you and Tammy have.